Google Summer of Code 2010 Ideas¶
This page is kept for historical purposes. Please check the latest year’s ideas page for the most up to date information.
Welcome to the Oregon State University Open Source Lab Google Summer of Code Ideas page.
Pydra is an open source parallel and clustered computing solution written in python using Twisted.Python and Django. Pydra is a new project that is working towards it’s first public release.
Contribute to Pydra¶
There are a lot of features on the wishlist for pydra. Choose from these ideas, or check out the task tracker:
- Statistical Analysis of Task Runtimes - predict future runtimes and resource requirements.
- Cloud Support - on demand provisioning and deployment to cloud based resources such as Amazon EC2.
- Function Wrapper - Programmatically distributing work to the pydra cluster.
- Executable Tasks - Tasks should be executable outside the cluster to allow easier development and debugging.
Write Applications Using Pydra¶
Develop an application that uses Pydra to reduce its run time. Here are some suggestions, feel free to come up with your own ideas.
- Web Crawler
- Document Indexer
Touchscreen is software for running interactive slideshows/demos. Touchscreen allows standalone slideshows or interactive displays using controls such as a touchscreen interface. It is primarily used at the OSL on the large flatscreen+touchscreen directly outside our server room. It displays various statistics and realtime data about the lab.
Write a Screen Plugin(s)¶
Write new plugin(s) that showcases things happening at the osl. We’ll supply the data, you supply an exciting representation of it.
Here are some screens we have already produced:
- Plotting Locations of Our FTP Users on a World Map in Realtime
- OSL Bandwidth Usage
- FTP Bandwidth map
- Campus Webcams
Suggestions for new screens:
- rewrite ftp user’s map using google maps or raphaeljs
- twitter feed - display feed of specific user(s), and or hashtag(s)
- trac project feed - project lists and recent commits
- RT ticket feed - dashboard of in progress and waiting tickets